Monday, July 21, 2014

Off to a bad start

OK, I'm doing a blog.  Hey, it's trendy and I'm a happening hi-tech sort of guy.

Sadly, I'm going to start this blog with a recap of the last several months and the story isn't all that great.

Last year (2013) I finished the Endless Mountains 1240K.  A great result and a terrific brevet organized by RBA Tom Rosenbauer.  This was my first 1200K.  I decided to sign up for possibly the hardest 1200K in North America (60K feet of climbing) with the idea that I'd either finish or give up this crazy nonsense all together.  Unfortunately, I finished ;-)

Next up was the Taste of Carolina in October.  As a side note, I'd scheduled AC reconstruction surgery on October 21st.  I rode strong first day, 230 miles at just under a 17 MPH average into a 20+ MPH headwind.  Eleven miles into the second day I was crossing an old steel grated bridge that was wet from the incessant rain.  I vacillated between walking and riding across but the person I was riding behind (Luke Heller) had crossed with no problem so I decided to ride across.  Big mistake.  I didn't even make it 5 feet onto the bridge when both wheels slid out and I crashed.  I broke my handle bars and, even worse, broke both of my thumbs.  This was on October 14th.

On October 21st I had the aforementioned AC reconstruction surgery.  This necessitated 16 weeks (yes folks, that's four months) with my right arm strapped to my torso with instructions to not use the arm at all during the first 12 weeks.

So there I was, both hands in braces and my right arm completely immobilized.  Even simple things like putting toothpaste on a brush took an extraordinary amount of effort (put the brush on the vanity, grip the toothpaste between my fingers and palm and unscrew the cap by holding it in my mouth.  Set the tube on the vanity and press down on it to squeeze toothpaste onto the brush).

Opposable thumbs are a REALLY good idea.

In addition to this, I don't tolerate analgesics (pain medication) very well.  They make me sick, even in small doses.  As a result, I spent October-December oscillating between being in incredible pain until I couldn't stand it anymore, taking pain meds for a few days then spending the next three days throwing up.  Rinse and repeat.  I lost 20 lbs.

Life sucks huh?

Finally (!) at the end of January I started riding on a trainer and my wife and I headed to central Texas for our annual escape from the godforsaken frozen north.  I rode on the road (or is that road on the rode?) for the first time on January 28th.  I rode 526 miles in February then 922 miles in March.  Things were looking good.

But then my innate stupidity kicked in.

At the end of March I was determined I was going to do a century.  I also realized I hadn't resumed my core strengthening that had been a regular part of my routine.  So on March 24th I resumed core strengthening.  Did I start easy recognizing it'd been 6 months since the last time I did them?  Nope.  Did the full regimen.  Same routine and same number of reps as 6 months previously like nothing had happened.

Next day, I rode out from Fredericksburg to Harper with a nice tailwind that was gradually building.  When I turned around it was into a howling headwind for the next 52 miles back to Fredericksburg.

Next day, my back was hurting.  Not "hurting" but "oh jeezuz, I'm seeing stars, take your breath away" kind of hurting.  This went on for two weeks.  After that, back on the bike for some "long" 10 mile rides in a lot of pain.

Off to a good start huh?