Monday, September 9, 2019

Back at it

Since returning from PBP and our post-PBP travels on 30 August, my energy levels were fairly low so my longest ride was 34 miles - and that felt like plenty! For the most part, the general long ride problems (aches, saddle sores, etc) had dissipated but the energy wasn't there to go much farther.

My friend Dan Diehn got in touch with me about getting together for a 200K on Sept 7th. Given that I needed a longer ride to get back in the groove and also needed a 200K to keep my R12 (200K per month for 12 consecutive months) going this sounded like a good plan.

Dan also invited good friends and fellow Anciens Rob Welsh and Jerry Christiansen so we'd have a good crew.

Jerry, me, Rob and Dan at the start
The 7th dawned with cooler weather (high of about 70F) and light rain forecast but turned out to be a fairly decent day for riding with a few sprinkles at the very end.

It turned out to be surprisingly difficult. I'd have periods where I felt pretty good then stretches where I felt like crap - rubbery legs, tired feeling. We rode at a decent but not killer pace and made several longer stops for food.

At the finish
All in all a good day on the bike. Felt good to get a longer ride done, R12 finished and always enjoy riding with these guys. It was especially fun to trade PBP stories and compare ride experiences.
Talking about how great we are - it'll take a while!