Friday, February 7, 2020

Testing 1, 2, 3

As I said in my last post, I did a short ride today. Had a lot of misgivings about riding, fearing that I'd make it worse but also thought that so long as I didn't push it that it would be a good test and might actually aid healing.

So I went out to a local state park (LBJ State Park) near Stonewall with the Hampsten. I did a very easy 10 miles. In order to avoid putting any undue stress on the soleus I stayed seated the entire time (out of the saddle is harder on the calf muscle group and is harder to control) and used the gears pretty extensively to keep myself spinning easy.

I had a few minor twinges but then I always have a few minor twinges somewhere. Nothing serious nor remotely painful. As I write this I've got my leg elevated on an ice pack. I'm hoping that there won't be a worsening of pain or soreness as the day goes on. My plan now is to do a similarly easy but somewhat longer ride tomorrow.

Oh, and the weather was lovely so it was really nice to get out today.

An encouraging start. Now if I can just keep myself from doing too much, too soon (a recurring problem).