Friday, May 1, 2020

Plans, Plans and more Plans

Those who know me know that I always have a plan. I'm not wed to it, willing to change as circumstances dictate but I always have a plan.

So here's the plan for tomorrow:

My goals in priority order are:
  1. Climb 10K feet.
  2. Complete the vFleche distance (100K) inside the time limit (6:40)
  3. Complete an Everest Basecamp (14,514 feet)
Based on my previous effort, I'd expect to accomplish (2) as part of (1). Here are the stats from my initial effort:
  • 53.39 miles (includes warmup)
  • Five hours 48 minutes total time
So I'd have another 8.747 miles to go to complete 100K or 4.1 laps which based on an average lap time of 10 minutes should get it done in 6:28, just under the 6:40 time limit.

At that point, I'll have climbed 9,296 feet so will have another two laps to go to reach the 10K goal in a total time of a little over 7 hours. Since I'll no longer be "on the clock" after completing the Fleche, I'll likely take a longer break at that point so this might stretch out a bit.

I'll have another 5,218' to climb or 16 laps to go to complete the Basecamp. Without any additional breaks and at 10 minutes/lap that'll be 2:40.

OK, now for fallback plans.

I'll preface this by saying I hurt my back several days ago. Overdid the core strengthening. As regular readers will know, this is an ongoing thing and it's generally the case that if I do too little core strengthening, my back hurts. If I do too much, my back hurts. There's a very fine line and I've unfortunately crossed over it.

So my plan is to proceed as above but if my back becomes overly painful I'll fall back to riding the flattest route I can in order to complete the Fleche.

Stay tuned!