Saturday, September 5, 2020

A setback?

I hurt. A lot.

As I noted previously, I'm trying pretty hard to be the model patient and adhere closely to the post surgical RX. As also noted, I've been weaning myself off the pain meds and haven't been taking anything stronger than ibuprofen and am trying to reduce my intake of that.

Yesterday and today my back hurts - pain focused specifically in my lower back - and I have significant nerve involvement with sciatic pain in my hamstring and calf as well as numbness in my foot.

OK, as I confessed previously, I *have* done some inadvertent bending/twisting but not really a lot of that and it doesn't seem as though I've done enough to upset the apple cart to this degree. I really am trying hard not to do it and it's only the occasional slip, it's not like I'm doing toe touches or anything. I've been extra careful not to lift anything heavy. Ten pounds is the limit and I've not even come close to that.

I have been trying to increase the distance I've been walking up to about two miles. I've been doing a single long walk coupled of course with normal around the house/yard walking. Here's my step count post surgery:

 

As I said in my initial blog after the surgery, I did a long walk the first day post surgery and that was a mistake. Couple of easy days then a gradual build to a longer day followed by a shorter one.

Nothing crazy there, or at least it doesn't seem crazy and yet I really hurt. Is that the cause? Darned if I know.

I'm really puzzled and hope I've not done anything that's undone any benefit I might have gotten from the surgery. That seems unlikely but I just don't know.

At this point, I'm going to try multiple shorter walks, 1/2 mile or so, and see how that goes.

Obligatory cycling content: I love riding in the fall in Wisconsin. It's my favorite time of year - cool, crisp days, clear skies, low humidity, generally light winds. Today is a case in point, a real stunner. 70 degrees, bright sunshine, barely a breath of wind. Really painful not to be able to ride. 

Stay tuned!