Monday, June 17, 2019

Oh, my aching back!

Given my long standing back problems, I'm often asked by friends "how's your back doing?" My answer is always "managed, not cured" and I suspect that's going to be the answer for the rest of my life.

Here are the rides I've either not started or not finished due to back troubles:
  1. 2014 Cascade 1200
  2. 2016 Rocky Mountain 1200
  3. 2016 Great Southern 1200K
  4. 2018 Mile Failte
  5. 2018 Perth Albany Perth
  6. 2019 Colorado Front Range SR600K
So what's the deal? 

I've had an ultrasound done (as an aside, the technology these days is pretty amazing. You can go up and down the spinal cord and see each vertebrae in isolation - cool stuff!) which revealed what I already knew: a bulging disc at the S1. For those unfamiliar with the architecture of the spine, there's a tube that runs up the middle aka you're spinal cord and periodic offshoots through the sides of the vertebrae that control various bodily functions. At the S1, my disc bulges to the left side which is what allows you to e.g., walk on your heels. My PCP says if I'm not able to walk on my heels that means I've let it go too long before doing anything - so I walk on my heels once a week.

As related to cycling, there are three failure modes that I've established so far:
  1. I do something stupid (not completely uncharacteristic) like pick up something way too heavy. 
  2. I do the classic "cyclist stretch" on the bike where you stand up, let your back sag and arch your back to stretch the muscles. If I start pedaling while I'm doing this it's game over, OMFG struck by lightning sort of pain.
  3. When climbing out of the saddle I pull REALLY hard on the bars. In thinking about it, this is a lot like (1) i.e., lifting something heavy, that compresses the vertebrae on the bulging disc.

(1) was the source of my DNF at the 2014 Cascade and DNS at the Rocky Mountain 1200. For the Cascade, I was clearing an area on my property and lifted/dragged a bunch of tree trunks and really hurt my back so I started with my back hurting. I did the first day with no problem and felt pretty good at the end. On the second day there was a lengthy climb up from the Klickitat river (a couple of miles at 10%) and when I got to the top my back was really hurting. I had to stop every couple of miles between there and Goldendale to stretch my back despite the fact that it was mostly downhill. The climb up to Bickleton pretty much sealed my fate. I made it as far as the control at Sunnyside and couldn't stand it. I took a break at the control, stretched, etc., then tried to go on. I made it a couple of miles and knew I couldn't face the climbing that was in front of me so I turned around and quit.

Likewise the RM1200. I drove all the way out to the west coast and upon arriving rode up Washington Pass to the summit and my back was hurting pretty good. I went to the start and signed in. That night my wife and I went to dinner and I bent over to wash my hands after using the washroom and the pain was incredible. I knew I had no business starting a 1200K in that condition so I went back and told them I wasn't going to do the ride. Drove all the way home.

(2) was the problem on the Great Southern. I rode really well for the extended first day and felt great. The next morning, I got up and started riding feeling pretty good. About 2K out of town I stretched my back and started pedaling while my back was arched - wham! I rode on another 100K to the control. Took some ibuprofen, stretched and then tried to go on. I rode another 10K, couldn't stand it any more and turned around.

(3) was the problem on Perth Albany Perth. I rode well the first day. On the second day I rode pretty hard for the last half of the day, feeling pretty good. The day finished with a really steep climb up to the school that served as the overnight. Being stupid, I was determined I was going to ride it rather than walk and pulled as hard as I could. Next morning I knew before I'd even reached the outskirts of Albany that my ride was over. I rode about 120K and just couldn't stand it anymore. I quit on a section that was downhill with a tailwind.

There are also a few failures (Mile Failte and Colorado SR600) that are a bit more puzzling. I'm riding pretty well, there's a lot of climbing and my back just progressively hurts worse and worse. Nothing instantaneous, no bolt of lightning, it just gets worse until I can't stand it anymore. My guess is the muscles are somewhat under trained (although I did go into the MF with a sore back) and the extended climbing causes them to tighten up thereby compressing the vertebrae.

So other than whining and quitting, what have I done about it?

Well, the answer is longer than I feel like typing so I'll say "everything" including PT, acupuncture, cortisone injections, etc. On an ongoing basis, I do core strengthening and stretching religiously. I think it helps but it's only "insurance" not "immunity".

And so it goes...