Monday, June 17, 2019

This is you, having fun

Although I've finished my PBP qualifying rides I have several rides upcoming and want to "keep the wheels spinning". I'm also trying out a new "theory" regarding my back. In the past, prior to a 1200K I've typically done a brevet series but my other rides were relatively short (40 miles or so). My reasoning for this is that physiologically your body doesn't really "learn" that much in rides beyond about 90 minutes duration. Sure there's that "mental toughness" thing but I've done enough longer rides that I don't feel like there's a lot for me to learn in that regard.

I've begun to think however that my back does "learn" by doing longer rides and adapts to the increased workload and strain so this year I'm doing more long rides in preparation for even longer ones. As of this writing (mid June) I've done a complete ACP brevet series, two 1000K's, a fléche and a 1200K.



In order to keep the ball rolling, I decided to ride this past weekends "E-F Huntin' 600K (when E-F Huntin' talks, people listen ;-) ). The forecast leading up to the ride didn't look very promising with rain a virtual certainty but to quote that old saw "there is no bad weather, only bad clothing" and I've got pretty good rain kit: a Gore-Tex Shake Dry jacket (highly recommended) and Castelli Tempesta rain knickers (not so sure).

The first day of the ride was just under 230 miles with just over 13K feet of climbing (NB: I rode the first part of the day 2 route so I'd pass within a mile of my home where I slept for a few hours). It really was four different rides:

  • The section from Richland Center (ride start) to Elkader was just about as good as cycling gets. Mild temperatures, virtually no wind or slight tailwind, beautiful sunshiny day and a lovely route.
  • The section from Elkader to Lansing was much hotter than I expected (mid-80's) and features a lot of climbing.
  • The section from Lansing to Viroqua is relentlessly hilly and the temperatures started to cool with gusty winds as the front bringing in the rain came. I've done this section 8-10 times in both directions and it kicks my butt every time and that was the case here.
  • Soldiers Grove to the finish in Richland Center was non-stop pouring, cold rain.
The two "standout" memories from the first day were feeling rather ill when I got to Viroqua. I suspect I was somewhat dehydrated and maybe a little low on electrolytes (forgot to bring some) so I drank a bunch and put a lot of salt on my food. It did make me feel better.

The second was the stretch in the rain. It was coming down in sheets and there's nothing like riding in cold rain, at night to make you (or at least me) feel sorry for yourself.

I rode most of the first day by myself and caught up to Eric Peterson at the Culver's in Viroqua. We rode the rest of the way to Richland Center together arriving at the Ramada Inn control at 23:25. I then rode on 7 miles to home (it turned out I went "off route" and added a bonus climb and extra couple of miles - the route didn't go the way I thought it did).

The next day, Eric and I agreed to ride together and he said he was going to leave at 5:30 AM and would text me when he left. Given he had to ride to the point where I left the route (about 15-20 minutes) and would meet him I waited until 5:45 then texted him and asked if he'd left. He said he'd just awakened so I told him since I was dressed and ready that I was going to leave.

I rode the first 50 miles to Boscobel and was super hungry when I got there so I took a long break and ate a bunch (breakfast sandwich, two donuts, chocolate milk, coffee). Eric passed me while I was at the Kwik Trip and the first I heard from him was a text that said "@Fennimore Subway". I texted him back that I was 10-15 minutes away but it ended up being more like 20-25 and he was just getting ready to pull out when I got there. I was only going to have a soda and bag of chips so he said he'd wait.

We rode the rest of the way together, into a headwind from Fennimore until Spring Green - about 60 miles or so and then on to the finish with a slight tailwind.

All in all, a tough ride - especially the end of the first day. We rewarded ourselves at the end though.

Me and Dad at the finish
 One amusing post ride anecdote. While we were standing in the parking lot enjoying our beverage ("Storm King" seems particularly apropos) a guy standing at the door of the hotel started talking to us about our ride. At one point he asked "are you father and son?" Eric and I are still debating which of us were the Dad in that scenario ;-)

The Storm Kings enjoying a post-ride beverage
One not so amusing post ride anecdote. We were riding in WI-130 on a fairly long, straight stretch of two lane road with no shoulder. Some geezer in a late-life crisis Corvette laid on his horn and swerved at the last minute around Eric who was maybe 18" off of the fog line. There was no traffic coming the other way and he could easily have passed us safely. This probably says something about me but I hope the guy dies in a fiery crash. I don't know where that sense of entitlement comes from but the world would be a better place without him.