Thursday, April 9, 2020

Another one bites the dust

Got word today that the Hokkaido 1200K scheduled for August has been cancelled. Hiroshi-san had said he'd make a decision by June 10, kudos to him for making it sooner. It appears my goal of doing a brevet in Japan is going to remain unrealized, for now.

2021 is going to be an interesting year. There were already a number of brevets scheduled for 2021 that I was interested in, including one I'm already registered for (London-Edinburgh-London). My plan for next year was to do the LEL-SBS double again as I did in 2017 but with a number of 2020 events being moved to 2021 I'll have some decisions to make. Assuming the Hokkaido is rescheduled for exactly the same period in August 2021 as it was in 2020, it will overlap with LEL so it'll be an either/or choice.

Although flying around the world to do LEL/Hokkaido would be challenging, it'd be nice if the dates at least make it possible to consider.

Certainly in the grand scheme of things there are many more important things to think about, not least what the trajectory of the Covid-19 virus looks like over the next 12 months and what the resulting impacts on the global economy will be.

In the meantime, the most optimistic spin I can put on the rest of 2020 as far as my own riding plan goes is:
  • US randonneuring resumes starting 1 July
  • a brevet series in July-August
  • my 1000K in September
  • the Cracker Swamp in October
  • The Great Southern in November
I'd planned to take another run at an SR600K in early July and would still like to make that happen. The hard part is going to be getting into shape to do it. That's a big part of the reason for Everesting.

Stay tuned!