Monday, April 6, 2020

Coronavirus in the sticks

...
No human contact
And if you interact, your life is on contract
Your best bet is to stay away mother f***er
"Break stuff" Limp Bizkit
Who knew Limp Bizkit had written the anthem for the Coronavirus?

I was talking (via email) to a friend who said I was lucky to live in a rural area since exposure is much less likely. There is a lot of truth to that, my rides lately have been on quiet roads made even moreso by people staying at home. I've got a ton of chores to do on the farmette to keep me occupied (more on that anon) so I'm not a city dweller locked into an apartment for which I'm grateful.

As I write this, there have been 3 cases of Coronavirus in Richland County. I pass the residence of two of the cases on just about every bike ride, an elderly (mid-70's) couple that didn't appear to be in the best of health even before contracting Coronavirus. I wish them well and hope that with good care they'll both make a full recovery.

Social distancing is more a way of life for Marcia and I rather than a short term event. My rides are 100% solo, we rarely eat in restaurants and are content and happy with each other for company.

One of the downsides to living near a small town is there's only one grocery store, one hardware store, etc., so if someone is contagious while asymptomatic,  they've got lots of opportunity to spread it around.

We're strictly limiting our trips into town and one or the other of us goes (not both) and whomever goes takes rubber gloves, mask, etc., avoids all contact, sanitizes when they get back into the car and then showers when they get home. Hope that's enough.

As I write this, my April brevets have been cancelled, May will be cancelled pretty soon and it's likely that June will follow. What this means for the brevet season isn't clear. The ACP has indicated they're willing to reschedule brevets or schedule new ones. Typically, I submit events for the ACP calendar in September of the previous year and once submitted they're set in stone and can neither be deleted or augmented with additional events.

This year is different. It appears we're going to get the opportunity to submit new events so simplistically I could e.g., move my April events to July, May to August, etc., and still have a full ACP series with a "traditional" ramp up. Certainly one implication of this is that it will be hotter and a second is that the late season brevets will have shorter days so more nighttime riding.

One of the chores I've been working at here on the farmette is clearing some downed trees. We had 5 pretty big trees fall at the end of our driveway in the last year. I used the tractor to drag them out of the way but they're pretty unsightly as weeds have grown up around them. I got an estimate to have them cut up and taken away - $2500! No thanks. I've got a tractor and a chain saw.

So a few days ago, we had the "Wisconsin Chainsaw Massacre"

I got all of the trees cut up into more manageable pieces and dragged those pieces to an area where I can burn them. They still need to be cut into smaller pieces as I only cut them up enough to permit me to move them so that's still on the todo list.

And then we're going to have one hell of a bonfire!