Sunday, November 3, 2019

Another disappointment

In what is an all too often occurrence, I ended up cancelling my trip to Australia. As I sit here writing this, my back really hurts and there's no way it's up to 25 hours of flying and then a 1200K.

I'm incredibly disappointed, especially since this one is basically self inflicted. I was having a pretty decent year with my back until I stupidly lifted something heavy.

I was really looking forward to seeing my friends in Australia and the ride itself. As I said previously, I did the 1000K version in the spring and enjoyed the route and the always wonderful support that Peter Donnan provides.

As things stand, I'm planning on an SR600K in December, a little over a month away. Previous experience suggests that's hard enough that you need to be 100% in order to get it done and I've got a little under 6 weeks before the ride. Will that be enough? At this point, I don't know. In normal circumstances I'd do a bunch of hilly rides to prepare but I know my back isn't up to that right now. Also, the weather sucks. It's cold and the extended forecast suggests it's going to stay that way. We'll see.

But right now, all I feel is disappointment.