Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Time for some data

I thought I'd put the Bacchetta on the smart trainer and do a Zwift ride in part because the weather sucks but also to begin collecting a bit more data.

Here are the details:

Distance 14.04 miles
Moving time 0:47:12
Elevation gain 407 feet
Weighted average power 135
Heart rate 94 bpm average, 110 bpm max
Power 134W average, 323W max
Perceived exertion moderate

I've done this in the past with similar results. I felt like this was a moderately hard effort and at one point I was pushing quite hard yet my max HR was 110 and max watts was 323. Similar level of effort on a DF would result in max HR in the 160 range and max watts in the 500-600 range. I freely admit I don't have my "bent" legs but that difference in max power is huge. The average power number of 134 on a DF would be a JRA level of effort.

By comparison, here is the data from my last Zwift ride on the DF

Distance 26.03 miles
Moving time 1:42:19
Elevation gain 3104 feet
Weighted average power 191
Heart rate 124 bpm average, 162 bpm max
Power 176W average, 461W max
Perceived exertion hard

The two differences of note between these two rides are the heart rate and power averages. Focusing on heart rate, the average on the 'bent was 94, 124 on the DF so my average heart rate on the 'bent was 24% lower.The max was 110 on the 'bent and 162 on the DF so the 'bent was 32% lower. I think I can somewhat ignore the max because I did do one burst on the DF that was much harder than I did on the 'bent but the averages are telling.

My explanation for this is twofold:

  1. My muscles aren't developed enough on the 'bent that I can push my heart that hard i.e., I don't have my 'bent legs.
  2. I'm nearer horizontal on the 'bent so my heart isn't having to push against gravity through the venous system.
I think the second accounts for the difference more than the first but that's opinion only, I'm no cardiologist.

The power numbers are also interesting. In the only objective account I've read, a rider put separate power meters on the crankset (Garmin Vector pedals) and the drive wheel (PowerTap hub) and measured the difference between a Cruzbike and a Bacchetta. The measured power loss through the drivetrain was 8% comparing apples to apples or, more accurately, recumbent to recumbent.

I've read various estimates that the power loss on a 'bent (not sure what flavor of 'bent) versus a DF was in the range of 20%. This jibes reasonably well with the numbers I'm seeing here. My average power level on the 'bent was 134, on the DF it was 176 so nearly a 24% loss in power.

As I said at the outset, I'd expect these numbers to go up somewhat as I become more acclimated to riding the 'bent. The big question is were I to invert my choice of bike i.e., ride the 'bent exclusively and the DF periodically would my power on the DF drop and, if so, how much?

As I said in a previous post, it'd be cool if I could alternate between the two, become acclimated to both and then choose one or the other  for a 1200K based on the terrain or whim and be equally well prepared.on either. Somehow I don't think that'd ever be the case but I don't know.

We'll see I guess.