Sunday, November 24, 2019

November 200K

Got out with a friend pursuing a K-Hound (10K RUSA kilometers in a year) yesterday morning for a 200K.


As noted previously, streaks are powerful things ;-) I've finished both my R12 and P12 for November despite my previously posted ambivalence toward continuing the pursuit of both.

Rode the Hampsten equipped with aerobars. As described previously, I'm experimenting with using aerobars to give my hands some relief. The issue historically is back or neck pain unless I'm sufficiently acclimated. I'm planning on a 600K next month so yesterdays ride seemed like a good opportunity to accomplish a few related goals: get some time on the aerobars and see what benefit having another position would give my hands.

In general, things went fairly well. I used the aerobars for a good part of the ride, perhaps 40% including some extended stretches on them. I also focused on varying my hand position when not on the bars and other posture related things e.g., keeping wrists straight, bend in elbows, etc.

My back and neck were OK during the ride but a bit sore/tired after. Started to get some shoulder/neck soreness toward the end of the ride. My hands were OK during the ride but afterwards I had the "fingers are smashed" sensation in the ring and pinkie of my left hand and a bit of tingling in my right.

As I write this the following morning the smashed sensation is gone, replaced by tingling which persists in my right hand as well.

So not a total win but an improvement. It might be a full solution if I'm able to increase the amount of time I spend on the bars somewhat or perhaps this is as good as it gets.

We'll see.