Thursday, November 14, 2019

Another trainer ride on the 'bent

I've removed my regular bike from the trainer and installed the 'bent (a Bacchetta CA 2.0) "permanently". I say that in quotes because it is changeable but rather a pain so it's likely I'll just leave it on there.

Given that there's 4" of snow on the ground and it's cold AF, it's likely I'll be spending more time on the trainer than outside, at least for the next several days. Having said that, the forecast for tomorrow is 40F so I might try to get out for a bit.

I rode the trainer this morning. The default Zwift route was NY. This isn't one of my favorites but I don't dislike it so I just went with that. I did a total of 24 miles with 1,745 feet of climbing. I did a few miles to warm up then did the Central Park loop at a 6/10 level of effort. Here are the stats for the Bacchetta vs. the diamond frame:

Bacchetta
Distance 6.06 miles
Time 17:37
Avg cadence 74
Avg HR 126
Max HR 143
Avg power 200w
Max power 464w

DF
Distance 6.06 miles
Time 15:58
Avg cadence not recorded
Avg HR 146
Max HR 159
Avg power 244w
Max power 941w

So an 18% drop in average power and an incredible 74% drop in max power. I have to say the max power number is suspect as I honestly don't think I can produce that many watts. I think somewhere in the 800 range is my max but who knows?

The heart rate numbers are similar with the 'bent still being 10% or more lower.

I also did the "NYC KOM" climb. I hit this one pretty hard at an 8/10 level of effort. The climb is .85 miles with an average gradient of 6%. Here's the comparison

Bacchetta
Time: 5:51
Avg cadence 74
Avg HR 137
Max HR 151
Avg power 230w
Max power 341w

DF
Time: 4:37
Avg cadence not recorded
Avg HR 141
Max HR 156
Avg power 295w
Max power 451w

Here the HR numbers are pretty close. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that the KOM was farther into the ride today and after a moderately hard effort on this ride whereas on the DF it was the first hard effort I did that day after warming up. The power numbers are interesting with the Bacchetta average power being 22% lower and the max power being 24% lower. A pretty significant drop in power. I should also note that I did a moderately hard sprint (367 watts for 28 seconds).

The rest of the ride was either warming up or JRA after the hard efforts so I won't bore you with the stats. It is interesting to note though that when I finished today's ride my gluteus maximus was incredibly fatigued and painful to the point that I could hardly stand up when I got off the 'bent. It was very sensitive to the touch and I couldn't walk up the stairs. I did about 10 minutes of stretching which allowed me to at least walk upstairs. As I write this 3 hours later it's still really sore.

I wasn't sure whether this fatigue/soreness was due to the harder effort or poor position on the 'bent. After looking at the position (recall I adjusted the seat a couple of rides ago) I think I'm in the right place so I've concluded for now it was just due to the harder effort.