Wednesday, October 16, 2019

2020 Musings

As is always the case at this time of year, I've started thinking about next year. This is generally precipitated by having to submit a ride schedule for my region to the ACP

[rant]One of the things I like least about being an RBA is I have to submit the schedule for my region before the RM schedule comes out so it is inevitably the case that there are 1200K's that I want to do that conflict with rides in my region. Unlike other regions, I'm "an army of one" (well, two if you count my wonderful wife) so finding someone else to run an event for me is difficult. Since no one that does my rides lives anywhere near Richland Center running a brevet involves one, if not two, nights in a hotel. That's a big ask.[/rant]

OK, with that out of the way...

Here are the 1200K's that I know about thus far (most info courtesy of my friend Dave T):

  • Jan 18 - to Bangkok
  • Feb 2 - Thailand 2020
  • Feb 15 - from Bangkok
  • Apr - Brazil LGR 1300
  • Apr 25 - Japan 1200
  • May 23 - Simcoe Devil Week
  • Jun 3 - NVA 1200
  • Jun 13 - South Korea
  • Jun 27 - PBP Audax 1200
  • Jul 6 - High Country 1200
  • Jul 8 - LOL 1200
  • Jul 13 - BC 1200
  • Jul 20 - France 1200
  • Aug 2 - Manhattan Montreal 1200
  • Aug 13 - Iron Porcupine 1200
  • Aug 13 - Manitoulin 1200
  • Aug 16 - 1001 Miglia
  • Aug 29 - Crater Lake 1200
  • Nov - Brazil 1200
  • Nov 5 - Cracker Swamp 1200
  • Nov 8 - Great Southern 1200
At this point, I'm for sure doing the June 3 NVA 1200K (perhaps pre-riding it) and the November 8 Great Southern. I pre-registered for the August 16 1001 Miglia and am thinking about the Nov 5 Cracker Swamp if I can do it as a pre-ride (too close to the GSR otherwise). I'd like to do the Japan 1200K - Marcia has never been to Japan - if I can get in.

Marcia wants to take an extended motorcycle trip next year (read: sit all day, drink beer and eat pub food at night, generally lose conditioning) so the year sort of lays out:

- April 25 - Japan 1200K (conflicts with a regional event but if I get in I'm going to do it)
- April/May:  a brevet series for my region
- June: NVA 1200K, my "Tour of the Driftless" 1000K
- July: motorcycle trip
- August: 1001 Miglia
- October: Cracker Swamp pre-ride (?)
- November: Great Southern

I enjoyed the High Country last time I did it so if the motorcycle trip falls through or we decide on another time of year (September?) I might do that. If I decide not to do the Miglia (I have until early next year to complete my registration) I might do either the Crater Lake or Manitoulin 1200K's.

It's a great time to be a randonneur! Lots of choices.