Sunday, October 27, 2019

A couple of cold ones

From the forecast, it looked like we were in for a few days of decent weather. Although it was forecast to be unseasonably cold, no high winds or rain were in the outlook so I decided to do a couple of my 100K permanents.

First up was Boscobel. This isn't one of my favorite routes as it involves too much riding on US-60 but the stretch out of town on CR-Q then CR-E which is done twice (on the way out and on the return) is pretty nice so I decided to ride it.

Long story short, as I've noted elsewhere, my back was hurting and I'm trying to strike a balance between riding and letting it relax/heal so I decided to turn North rather than South at the CR-Q/CR-E intersection and head towards home. Ended up with 27 miles.


I'd sent a message to my friend Bob Booth about riding my Spring Green perm on Saturday and he was up for it. Uncertain about my back but decided to do it anyway. The day dawned really cold (26 degrees) but the forecast was for light winds and mostly sunny until early afternoon and that's pretty much what we had. The first few miles were really cold until we warmed up from riding but after that we were generally OK. I always feel like in cold weather if I'm hot part of the time, cold part of the time and OK most of the time I've pretty much nailed it as far as dressing for the conditions.

We had a nice brunch at the Spring Green general store and were surprised when John Thier walked in. John and I had exchanged some texts about getting together this weekend - he'd invited me down south to Sinesawa to ride with him and Greg Gabrilson and I'd invited him to do my Spring Green perm. We were both set in our plans so I was surprised to see him in Spring Green. He said Greg had to cancel so he decided to come up and start from Muscoda.

The ride was uneventful. We high fived at the end to celebrate breaking 6 hours (5:50). I usually do this perm solo (including a lunch stop) in about 4:30 but that doesn't include sitting for an hour having coffee and chatting. An enjoyable day. Oh, and the back was mostly OK, a few twinges but nothing more serious. The relaxed pace probably helped.


Oh, and here's a shot I took of the mighty Wisconsin. You usually can't see the rock bluffs on the left due to the trees/bushes but they're visible this time of year.