Saturday, October 5, 2019

There seems to be a trend here

This year, I wanted to put on 3 brevets in October to give riders the best chance of riding in the Fall. I love riding in the Fall - crisp temperatures, clear skies (usually), beautiful foliage. So I put a ride on the calendar for Fall Colors weekend.

I had a brevet on the calendar this morning - the "Fledglings Dare 200K". It's one of my favorite routes and I typically put it on in October because the fall colors are so beautiful on this route.

They hold a "Fall Colors Weekend" here in Richland Center every October. They have a parade, tractor show, crafts fair, etc. In years past they've had a bike tour that goes to local farms and orchards. You know, typical small town stuff.

I usually hold my brevet for the following weekend. This is so riders who are staying overnight can get a hotel room (there are only two decent hotels here in the big city and rooms tend to fill up on Fall Colors Weekend).

But there's another reason.

It rains on Fall Colors Weekend. Every. Single. Year.

We've been here since 2009 and it's rained every time.

As I write this, it's raining.

Hard.

When we lived in Boerne, Texas there was a group that put on a "Saint Valentines Massacre" motorcycle rally in Boerne near Valentines day in February. It rained that weekend for the 9 years we lived there. Every. Single. Year.

So no brevet on next years schedule for Fall Colors Weekend.