Thursday, October 17, 2019

Proof that you can't fix stupid

Regular readers (both of you ;-) ) will know that I've a history of back trouble caused by a bulging disc at the S1/S2. I know this. It's caused me to DNF several rides when I was otherwise riding well. I've learned over the years the things that I do on the bike that cause me problems and avoid doing them.

Then there's off the bike :-(

Two days ago the flood alarm went off on our septic system. The system is a really simple one and the house is about 15-20 feet above the septic field so even if it flooded significantly there's no way the house would be affected. Also, we had the tank inspected and drained last year and we don't really produce that much waste.

So given that, it was really unlikely that it was actually flooding and more likely something simpler like the float was stuck. So naturally, I decided to lift up the really heavy concrete cover so I could have a look. This despite the fact that I have a tractor with a front loader that would have made childs play out of lifting it up and it would have taken me every bit of 5 minutes to walk down to the shed, start the tractor and lift the cover off. Oh, and my loving wife standing there saying "don't do that, don't do that".

Hurt my back. Still really hurts.

You just can't fix stupid.

Oh, and the float was stuck.